[plug] Random cc segfaults?

Ryan ryan at is.as.geeky.as
Tue Jan 27 20:46:32 WST 2004

On Tue, 2004-01-27 at 20:09, Trevor Phillips wrote:

> What could be the cause of these problems? I've tested the RAM, & it's fine.
> Could it be a dodgy CPU? Is there any CPU equivalent to RAM's memtest86?
> Could it be a dodgy motherboard?
> How can I isolate and prove what the source of the problem is?
> If I just continue the build, is there a chance other errors have snuck in
> to the build (without build errors), which may come back to haunt me later?

I don't know much at all about this stuff, except what I've seen with my
own eyes.

I had a machine running 2.4.20 for a long time and it would exhibit all
kinds of odd things - segfaults, hung processes etc. many of which made
this list.  I suspected a root-kit, but this theory was eventually
disproved through various tests.  I'd tested RAM, swapped CPUs, changed
SCSI cards, imaged to other hard drives etc. with no effect.  So I
reformatted it, compiled a new, more recent kernel (2.4.22 at the time)
and it is now happy again - it is even bringing you this email :)

Far longer than a long shot I know, but could you just be unlucky with
your current installation/kernel?

Ryan