[plug] Random cc segfaults?

Mageaere mageaere at hushmail.com
Tue Jan 27 20:54:29 WST 2004

I have had this problem on an older pc. I think it was a combination
of occasional bit errors in the memory, dodgy ide cable, dodgy ide controller,
 a problem with disk read writes that sometimes causes decompressed data
to have characters be 1 bit off. Have had to edit source where there
were occasional characters that were different by 1 character in the
ascii table.

Try checking the md5sums of all the files after they have been decompressed
prior to compilation (presuming that you have the sums in the first place.)
and make sure that all files are correct.

As to the potential for errors to creep in from restarting the build
after an error, this is a situation the build tools are built to handle.
  Things like make are designed to restart a build after being interupted
by making sure that it checks the build dates with the source file update
dates. This lets make ignore build tasks that have already been completed.
Also as part of the build process most critical packages like the kernel
and glibc have extensive testing routines to go through before they are
completed.

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 04:09:13 -0800 Trevor Phillips <T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au>
wrote:
>Gah! This is driving me mad! I'm trying to compile something (Kernel
>2.6.1
>in fact) on a Debian/Sarge box, with a Celeron 2.2GHz CPU. Every
>now &
>again, compilation dies, with gcc segfaulting. If I repeat the build
>>
>command, it continues where it leaves off, and is fine.
>
>I've also had it very occasionally just sit there thrashing, and
>never
>finishing a compile.
>
>This is also not a new problem (it just rears its head whenever
>I go to
>recompile the kernel ^_^).
>
>What could be the cause of these problems? I've tested the RAM,
>& it's fine.
>Could it be a dodgy CPU? Is there any CPU equivalent to RAM's memtest86?
>Could it be a dodgy motherboard?
>How can I isolate and prove what the source of the problem is?
>If I just continue the build, is there a chance other errors have
>snuck in
>to the build (without build errors), which may come back to haunt
>me later?

Why doesn't Batman use linux?

If you have to ask, FEAR THE PENGUIN!!!

And of course join your local LUG