[plug] [OT] domain name registration

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Jan 28 15:55:02 WST 2004

On Wed, 2004-01-28 at 15:41, Russ Powers wrote:

> Sad fact is most people just type your name with .com on the end. So you
>   it's usually a good idea to get the .com and .com.au if you can.

All too true. Of course, even if you want the '.com' (just to work
around morons, you understand) there'll be a squatter there who wants
some ridiculous sum of money for the domain. Anyway - take the example
of the POST. How many 'POST Newspapers' must there be in the world?!?
We'd have to set up postnewspapers.com as an index page to point to
everybody's real websites.

To be honest, most people come to use by google and MSN - probably
automated keyword searches done by browsers. To the point, in fact,
where I suspect many people do a search every time they want to see a
site - rather than bookmarking it or remembering the address. Possibly
because they don't understand about site addresses or bookmarks -
*sigh*.

> What about companies that do business all over the world?

Ideally, '.com' and the other TLDs should be for internationally
operating organisations. If you run a company that only operates in one
country, get a ccTLD subdomain.

Craig Ringer