[plug] [OT] domain name registration

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Jan 28 16:08:42 WST 2004

On Wed, 2004-01-28 at 15:29, senectus wrote:
> Its mostly because of one guy.. I forget his name.. but he pretty much held
> sway over everything blah.au

Yeah, Robert Elz. He was delegated by ICANN as the Australian rep. I
seem to remember that when they later tried to persuade him to give up
the job in favour of Melbourne IT he refused.

http://www.auda.org.au/list/dns/archive/102001/0127.html

> I've heard that about a year ago he released his control to Melbourne IT I
> don't think that's much of a step up.. I've delt with them before and they
> were REALLY painful to deal with..

I thought he transferred control direct to AuDA, having _refused_ to
hand over to MelbIT?

As for the scams - the ACCC tends to stomp on them, as they _are_
misleading and generally dodgy. Hence the term scam.

Craig Ringer