[plug] [OT] domain name registration

Ryan ryan at is.as.geeky.as
Wed Jan 28 16:09:02 WST 2004

On Wed, 2004-01-28 at 15:29, senectus wrote:
> Its mostly because of one guy.. I forget his name.. but he pretty much held
> sway over everything blah.au
> I've heard that about a year ago he released his control to Melbourne IT I
> don't think that's much of a step up.. I've delt with them before and they
> were REALLY painful to deal with.. I seem to remember then getting involved
> with scam snail mail saying "your domain name (that was registered with some
> other company) will run out soon, you had better re register with us"
>
> Devious but not illegal..

It was Domain Names Australia that did (and still does) this, not
Melbourne IT.   Melbourne IT do send out letters offering *OTHER*
domains similar to your registered ones - but they are dead-easy to
understand and contain no invoice specifics to trick unsuspecting
accounts departments.

I have reported DNA to the ACCC each time they send me a letter - and I
admin a fair few domains - so that's a lot or whining :)

http://www.auda.org.au/about/news/2003061903.html

Ryan