[plug] [OT] domain name registration

Onno Benschop onno at itmaze.com.au
Wed Jan 28 16:08:46 WST 2004

On Wed, 2004-01-28 at 17:59, senectus wrote:
> Its mostly because of one guy.. I forget his name.. but he pretty much held
> sway over everything blah.au

No the government is in charge of that - as they should be. They sent a
message to all domain admins - I received mine on 4, July, 2002 - see
the link at the bottom of this message for more news.

> I've heard that about a year ago he released his control to Melbourne IT I
> don't think that's much of a step up..

No.

> I've delt with them before and they
> were REALLY painful to deal with..

Are we talking about the same people here? Melbourne IT - while
expensive - run a professional organisation and have always been very
helpful.

> I seem to remember then getting involved
> with scam snail mail saying "your domain name (that was registered with some
> other company) will run out soon, you had better re register with us"

No, that was another company trying to look like Melbourne IT. They have
been the subject of many complaints, known as: "Net Register" and
"Internet Registry Pty Ltd", "Domain Names Australia" etc...

There are several others with complaints. Look for Consumer Alerts in
the news link below:
	<http://www.auda.org.au/about/news/>

Onno Benschop

Connected via Optus B3 at S34°15'14" - E140°28'19" (Barmera, SA)
--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..