[plug] [OT] domain name registration

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Wed Jan 28 15:59:57 WST 2004

In message <40176794.8040206 at powerstech.com>
on Wed, Jan 28, 2004 at 03:41:08PM +0800, Russ Powers wrote:
> Sad fact is most people just type your name with .com on the end. So you
>  it's usually a good idea to get the .com and .com.au if you can.

Notwishstanding your later comments (quoted at the end of this e-mail):
1/ by this logic, you should always register a higher-level domain when
   you register a lower-level domain. this does not sound like the right
   answer!
2/ if someone has already registered the .com domain, you've lost your
   opportunity and have to deal with that situation properly anyway.
3/ if someone has already registered the .com domain, those people are
   either using it legitimately or are squatting.
4/ in the latter case, getting .com addresses should probably have been
   *harder* for them (and for you).
5/ in the former case, there's a chance that they are the "more rightful
   owners" of that name and you should not have been attempting to
   register it for yourself.