[plug] [OT] domain name registration

Russ Powers russ at powerstech.com
Wed Jan 28 17:27:53 WST 2004

James Devenish wrote:
> In message <40176794.8040206 at powerstech.com>
> on Wed, Jan 28, 2004 at 03:41:08PM +0800, Russ Powers wrote:
>
>>Sad fact is most people just type your name with .com on the end. So you
>> it's usually a good idea to get the .com and .com.au if you can.
>

> Notwishstanding your later comments (quoted at the end of this e-mail):
> 1/ by this logic, you should always register a higher-level domain when
>    you register a lower-level domain. this does not sound like the right
>    answer!

The right answer to what? It's a business decision to maximise your
exposure.

> 2/ if someone has already registered the .com domain, you've lost your
>    opportunity and have to deal with that situation properly anyway.

I agree. I've already said in an earlier email that I've NEVER managed
to get the .com same as my .com.au.  :)

> 3/ if someone has already registered the .com domain, those people are
>    either using it legitimately or are squatting.

Yup, or they use "shotgun" style domain name registration, where a
company registers every possible permutation of the name and everything
that even kinda sounds like it. These were quite common during the
dotcom boom.  :)

> 4/ in the latter case, getting .com addresses should probably have been
>    *harder* for them (and for you).

Agreed.

> 5/ in the former case, there's a chance that they are the "more rightful
>    owners" of that name and you should not have been attempting to
>    register it for yourself.

There's also a chance I am the "more rightful owner" and they should not
have been attempting to register it. If two businesses want the same
domain and have legitimate reasons, who's to say which is "more
rightful"? How do you decide that? This is business.

I don't think we are disagreeing. As I mention above, I've not been able
to get domains before because of squatters and "shotgun" style company
registrations. I agree that both practices should be discouraged.