[plug] [OT] domain name registration

Onno Benschop onno at itmaze.com.au
Wed Jan 28 16:21:44 WST 2004

On Wed, 2004-01-28 at 18:11, Russ Powers wrote:
> Sad fact is most people just type your name with .com on the end. So you
>   it's usually a good idea to get the .com and .com.au if you can.

That fact is not true and poor advice to boot.

Let me provide an analogy:
        Start a business, register a phone number, wait for the phone to
        ring.

This is a sure fire way to go out of business. Instead you advertise
your services appropriately. With domain names the same is true.

> > IMHO, either you're a company or you're not,
>
> Well, yeah, it is a company. But what's the difference if you're a
> company, a charity, a non profit org, or an individual. The internet is
> international.

Your examples of different bodies is covered here:
	<http://www.auda.org.au/register/>

Using that list:
	company		.com.au
	charity		.asn.au or .org.au (depending on registration)
	non-profit	.org.au
	individual	.id.au

> If you want to get seen it's slightly easier with .com.

That is absolute and utter rubbish.

> > either you're Australian or
> > you're not, etc.
>
> Well, actually, in this case I'm both, US and Australian citizen.

Irrelevant, except if you wish to register a .id.au.

> And we have companies registered in both countries.

If those companies have the same name in both countries, then - and only
then - should you register both domains.

> What about companies that do business all over the world?

I do business all over the world. I am registered as .com.au.

If you are talking about a company like Microsoft, then, yes, they can
register all over the world - as long as the company is registered in
the country of the domain.

Onno Benschop

Connected via Optus B3 at S34°15'14" - E140°28'19" (Barmera, SA)
--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..