[plug] [OT] domain name registration

Russ Powers russ at powerstech.com
Wed Jan 28 17:11:37 WST 2004

Onno Benschop wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-01-28 at 18:11, Russ Powers wrote:
>
>>Sad fact is most people just type your name with .com on the end. So you
>>  it's usually a good idea to get the .com and .com.au if you can.
>

> That fact is not true and poor advice to boot.

That's your opinion and you're welcome to it. :)

> Let me provide an analogy:
>         Start a business, register a phone number, wait for the phone to
>         ring.

IMHO that's a poor analogy. If somebody knows a business name they may
very well go to the net and just stick a .com on the end. That has
nothing to do with dialing a phone number or looking in the white pages.

> This is a sure fire way to go out of business. Instead you advertise
> your services appropriately. With domain names the same is true.
>>>IMHO, either you're a company or you're not,
>>
>>Well, yeah, it is a company. But what's the difference if you're a
>>company, a charity, a non profit org, or an individual. The internet is
>>international.
> Your examples of different bodies is covered here:
> 	<http://www.auda.org.au/register/>

Thanks.

> Using that list:
> 	company		.com.au
> 	charity		.asn.au or .org.au (depending on registration)
> 	non-profit	.org.au
> 	individual	.id.au

.id that's an interesting one, never seen that.

>>If you want to get seen it's slightly easier with .com.
> That is absolute and utter rubbish.

That's your opinion and you're welcome to it. :)

>>>either you're Australian or
>>>you're not, etc.
>>
>>Well, actually, in this case I'm both, US and Australian citizen.
>
> Irrelevant, except if you wish to register a .id.au.

I'd say it's very relevant. You said either I'm Australian or not. That
was wrong. I'm both Aussie and Yank. So are my companies.

>>And we have companies registered in both countries.
>

> If those companies have the same name in both countries, then - and only
> then - should you register both domains.

That's your opinion and you're welcome to it. :)

>>What about companies that do business all over the world?
>
> I do business all over the world. I am registered as .com.au.

That's your choice and you're welcome to it.  :)

> If you are talking about a company like Microsoft, then, yes, they can
> register all over the world - as long as the company is registered in
> the country of the domain.

If you don't have to be a registered company in a country to register a
domain name then why should you limit your business options arbitrarily
like that?

You're perfectly welcome to your opinions but it's not nice to call
other people's opinions bad or 'rubbish'. You don't own the truth Onno.