[plug] Conversion to PDF

Kai vk6ksj at westnet.com.au
Thu Jan 29 19:54:47 WST 2004

James Devenish wrote:
> In message <1075373014.4355.2.camel at albert.localnet>
> on Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 06:43:34PM +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
>
>>If there was one feature I'd love to see in Windows above all else, it'd
>>be a built-in 'print to PDF' function that required no user installation
>>or setup.
>

> Does *any* Microsoft software play nicely with PDF? I know Adobe keeps
> attempting to provide Print To PDF for Word, but the results seem
> uniformly bulky and unwieldy (e.g. painful to render, slow to print).
> And that doesn't solve the problem of Microsoft Office being unwilling
> to place PDF images (unless it's appeared in very recent versions of
> Word). Microsoft is purported to have twisted Adobe's arm to screw with
> fonts, so I would have thought that was an indication that they had some
> interest in PDF.

Yeah, they've got an interest in PDF but from what I've seen, the
"Microsoft Reader" hasn't caught on very well (oh, gee, damn)...we use
Adobe Writer at work with Office 2000 and I haven't seen any slow
rendering problems or anything like that.

The council secretary often writes up 100+ page documents worth of
council minutes, each month she converts them to PDF either via Print-to
or through Macro, and with the exception of a few small inter-linking
glitches now and then, the PDF's come out fine.

I tried converting some of her word documents to PDF in Star/OpenOffice
and they look ok but the inter-PDF linking doesn't work :-/