[plug] MyDoom virus/worm

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Thu Jan 29 20:07:59 WST 2004

Hi,

In message <1075375934.4355.26.camel at albert.localnet>
on Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 07:32:14PM +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
> Then again, I'm less than thrilled with OSX's poor save-as-PDF, given
> that it appears to be for rather low quality output. One appears to need
> to print to PostScript and use GhostScript to get results.

This is probably true, but since Quartz uses PDF heavily (though does
not support all features), I think it is only the 'Save as PDF' feature
that may be 'crippled'. I would be highly surprised if the output were
press-ready. But I am not sure about your idea of low graphics
resolution -- I think it is somewhat application-dependent (like the
TextEdit 50-page problem discussed on the WAMUG list). I would have
thought that 'Save as PDF' prints normally but just doesn't send the
file to the printer. However, if Quartz *is* downsampling, I would be
surprised if there isn't a configuration file for it. The reason I think
this is that when you 'Save As...' from a preview window you can choose
'PDF' but the 'Options...' button is dimmed. If you were to choose a
raster format, the 'Options...' button would become available. It
doesn't seem to make sense to disable the Options button if people would
need to disable downsampling. Then again, I guess it's not very
surprising if they've stuffed up!

> Anybody know if OSX 10.3 includes GhostScript?

Nope, it doesn't. I suppose you could ask clients to choose 'Output
Options' and 'PostScript' for the 'Save as File' option (I'm guessing
that the 'Save As PDF...' button is just a shortcut to this, and selects
the 'PDF' option instead of 'PostScript').