[plug] [OT] User Support

Ben Jensz plug at jensz.id.au
Thu Jan 29 22:29:46 WST 2004

Craig Ringer wrote:

>Oooh, yeah. Most cheap new 17" monitors change shape when you maximize a
>window - it's scary. Even some of the "better" ones are still blurry,
>have a maximum _usable_ resolution of 1024x768, have bad colour, and
>feel like they're just full of air.

We have all cheap arse Acer V771 17" monitors at work, and generally
they keep shape most of the time.  The colour isn't that greatest though
and the one attached to my work computer has a one pixel black dot right
in the absolute centre of the screen.

But they do 85Hz at 1024x768, so thats at least something.  I can't
stand looking at 60Hz... gives me headaches most of the time.

>Thankfully, you can still get good 21" CRTs, though it's getting hard to
>get good 19"s now. I'm sticking to my Philips 109P until I get an LCD,
>because I doubt anything still on the market - except maybe a Sony G520
>or Mitsubishi 2070SP - will be of the same level of quality.

Stuff buying a 21" CRT though.  As it is with a 19" CRT at home, I have
my desk at least half a foot away from the wall and the back of it hangs
over the desk (base is all on the desk though).  Personally I'm waiting
and watching LCDs to see when they finally get to specs and prices where
I'm prepared to buy one.  I'll probably keep my 19" CRT though and do
dual display when I get an LCD and only cart the LCD along to LANs.

My 19" CRT is a flat screen Viewsonic P90f, which is generally fairly
good IMHO.  Its probably not quite as good as the Diamond Pro 19" flat
at work (which was more expensive) thats attached to one of the edit
machines, but that has damper wires whereas mine doesn't.  It also
doesn't beat the dual 21" flat CRT IBM monitors on the IBM zSeries Avid
edit machine either... now those are two damn sexy monitors  :)

/ Ben