[plug] Debian Kernel compile

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Fri Jan 30 12:26:39 WST 2004

Tim Bowden wrote:

| Some time ago, I came across a guide to compiling and installing new
| kernels on a debian system that showed how to create a .deb of the new
| kernel.  I lost the guide.  Does anyone know of the location of any such
| guide?

There's one written by Jon Oxer hiding on Linmagau somewhere.

http://articles.linmagau.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=131&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

One amendment I'd make to that page is that rather than building it as
root, I prefer to untar the kernel sources in my home directory and pass
the "--rootcmd fakeroot" option to make-kpkg, which will allow it to
build the kernel .deb without needing root privs.

Cameron.