[plug] Binary Clock

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Fri Jan 30 17:13:59 WST 2004

At 17:03 30/01/2004 +0800, Mark J Gaynor wrote:

<snip>

>The problem now is the clock runs slow. They use the 60Hz AC as a cheap but
>
>accurate reference. At 50Hz it runs about 17% slow. For a talking point it
>is ok,
>but as a time piece, that sucks.

Well, all might not be lost, if you can gain access to the clock's innards
:-)   Years ago I recall a divider chip that took the standard NTSC colour
TV subcarrier crystal frequency and spat out a 60 or 50 Hz signal, jumper
selectable.   Had inbuilt crystal oscillator circuit, you just added xtal,
some caps and some volts.   Mike out at WorldWide Electronics might have
the chips or know of them.  Or roll your own using a 32 KHz RTC or watch
xtal and some cmos divider chips.

Errr... there's not a jumper in there somewhere to convert the divider
chain to 50Hz operation?
Just a thought ;-)

Denis