[plug] Binary Clock

Mark J Gaynor mark at mjg.id.au
Sat Jan 31 22:17:21 WST 2004

I am amazed how this thread has developed.

My original reply was to Nima, by way of Tim Bowden's post, who had just
purchased the binary clock from ThinkGeek, he asked three questions:-

1. Had anyone purchased one from the USA?
2. What power adaptor came with it and was it optional to ask for 240
Volts?
3. Does anyone have any useful info?

My answer was:-

>> I just bought one of these clocks from ThinkGeek without really
>> thinking...

Answer #1
I got one of them, it arrived Monday. Its way c o o l!

Question #1
>> Anyone order this from US? What power adapter did you get with it - was
>> it optional to ask for an Australian power adapter? I mean I can put

Answer #2
DSE has a 240/110 volt AC plug pack that does the trick. Alternatively you
can
get a 9 volt secondary transformer and use the lead off the plug pack and
you're
in business.

Question #2 & 3
>> somthing together to give 9V AC and over 250mA, but the 60Hz is a little
>> difficult to reduce down to 50... Anyone have any useful info they can

Statement!
The problem now is the clock runs slow. They use the 60Hz AC as a cheap but

accurate reference. At 50Hz it runs about 17% slow. For a talking point it
is ok,
but as a time piece, that sucks.

Answer #3
So RTFM and the solution is clear!

Commentary
( If Nima read the the instructions supplied with the clock, he would
understand as
it has under Special Options "- 50 Hz operation: ... ". I did not feel the
need to quote
the obvious if you had the clock, AND that is what the original post was
about. It is
interesting that there has not been another post from Nima. It would seem
my post
was informative after all.)

Supplementary question by Tim Bowden
>That's the reason I would like to find a local supplier.  How did you go
>with this Mark?

Supplementary answer
This did not worry me, I like the challenge. Is that not why you mess with
computers?
(I should have said, "it does not matter!" and it doesn't anyway)

Conclusion
To put it as plainly as I know how - if you want a binary clock (red or
blue LED's, mine
is blue) to put on your mantle piece then get one as you only have to do
some
elementary work, like order and pay for it, ship it, and when yours
arrives, deal with the
110 to 240 volt problem (it only requires 9 Volts AC) and read the manual
(instructions)
that come with it.

Mark
--

BTW: this is not flaming anyone, I just want the thread go to sleep before
someone needs