[plug] protecting a tar file

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Thu Jul 1 07:04:34 WST 2004

zip -e the tar file.  zip has what is considered weak encryption but is
simple to use.  There seem to be a number of other similar utilities
that either compress and encrypt or just encrypt the file.

or something like:
tar -zcvf - stuff|openssl des3 -salt -k secretpassword | dd
of=stuff.des3
and
dd if=stuff.des3 |openssl des3 -d -k secretpassword|tar zxf -

or create a largish loopback container formated with stegfs on top of
ext2 and put the tar into that.  That should stump a script kiddie!
Played with this when I was using ext2 and it does work.

BillK