[plug] Mail list dedicated to the migration from one OS to another?

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Thu Jul 1 11:01:42 WST 2004

First: to answer the OP, I'm not personally aware of such a list, and I
didn't find anything in a quick scan through the comp.* newsgroups either.

Chris Caston wrote:

> One thing is that if you post to the list of the target operating system
> you are bound to get a lot of help from enthusiasts would like to help
> you move to their operating system of choice.
>
> If, however, you started posting here about migrating from Linux to
> Windows you might not get a cosy response.

Interesting. I would've such a question reasonable, on topic, and
interesting. In the real world, people sometimes need to migrate data,
systems, and users around in all sorts of ways. The reasons aren't
always based on decisions about pure technical merit, either - pressure
from management or suppliers often comes into things, and you'll often
want to stick with a core application even if you have to change
platform to do so.

Obviously we tend to see a strong focus on migration _to_ linux here,
but I don't see why migration questions need to be purely about that.

How would you respond to a post saying "Help! Management just paid up
for an Enterprise Agreement and want everything moved over to Win2k3
servers - any suggestions on how I can comply while retaining my
sanity?". (My first comment there might be "Services for UNIX is a free
download now, you know...)

I suspect one problem that might be encountered if posting about
Linux->Windows migration on PLUG would be the difficulty of finding
posts that try to answer the question among the "why are you doing
that?!?" and "You should do <blah> instead" noise.

> One of the many Windows
> NG's... I'm sure you'd soon hear from Microsoft wanting you to be part
> of their next case study.

No doubt. I think it'd be rather amusing, actually, if someone was able
to say something like "Well, sure we migrated our IM server from Linux
to Win2k3, but we're looking at moving everything else to Linux" at an
MS show. I'd say they probably screen their "exhibits" better than that,
though.

--
Craig Ringer