[plug] netiquette and an apology!

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Thu Jul 1 11:22:46 WST 2004

Dear PLUG list members,

Thanks to Scott for pointing out to me (off list) an operating procedure
that may have caused others to receive interwoven threads, which apparently
causes some mail clients to thread messages incorrectly.   To alert others,
here is what I did (wrong) while posting...

During the day at work I use a Eudora mail client and at times an ssh
session to the mailhost and pine.   At home I use ssh and pine also.   When
creating a new thread in Eudora I usually just start a brand new message
and from my address book enter plug at plug.blah.blah... in the To:
field.   All is well.   But when using ssh/pine, because I have not set up
an address book for pine, I sometimes just "reply to" a PLUG member's
posting, erase the message body and the subject line and start off with
what I *thought* was a "blank canvas."   I did that last night, as it
happens.   However other headers are not erased, hence the threading woes
of which I was unaware.

So thanks for alerting me to the problem :-)   Guess which address will be
the first one entered in my pine address book!

Cheers and apologies if others, too, were inconvenienced.
Denis