[plug] netiquette and an apology!

Leon Blackwell leon at lostrealm.com
Thu Jul 1 11:34:37 WST 2004

On Thu, Jul 01, 2004 at 11:22:46AM +0800, Denis Brown wrote:
> I sometimes just "reply to" a PLUG member's posting, erase the message
> body and the subject line and start off with what I *thought* was a
> "blank canvas."   I did that last night, as it happens.   However
> other headers are not erased, hence the threading woes of which I was
> unaware.

If you switch to mutt ("real men use mutt"  :)    and put the following
in your .muttrc:

    set edit_headers=yes

you should find that you're able to view and edit your headers as part
of the email.  Now if you feel complled to rely to an email to start a
new thread, or if you just want to create a new thread in the middle of
another (when changing topic, for example), just be sure to delete to

Yes, I'm sure that you can do this in pine, but I've never liked pine.

As an added bonus, something like this in your .vimrc should setup
things ready to type your email (and with nice syntax highlighting for
those headers):

" For mutt
"  ai: auto indent
"  ts=2: 4 spaces for a tab
"  et: expand tabs to spaces
"  list: show whitespace stuff
"  tw=72: wrap at 72 chars
"  comments=nb:>: comments start with '> ' and may be nested
au BufNewFile,BufRead /tmp/mutt*  set ai ts=4 et list tw=72 comments=nb:>
au BufNewFile,BufRead /tmp/mutt*  normal /^$
au BufNewFile,BufRead /tmp/mutt*  normal j

syntax on

So ends another exciting episode in "this is the way Leon does stuff, so
it must be right"  :)

--
 Leon Blackwell                | A jury consists of twelve persons
 http://www.lostrealm.com/     | chosen to decide who has the better