[plug] [OT-ish] OSX question

Shayne O'Neill shayne at guild.murdoch.edu.au
Thu Jul 1 12:03:23 WST 2004

Off topic, but maybe some folks might have some ideas on this.

I'm setting up a backup reigme for the OS/X machines in the office.

We have on a linux server a 30gig external backup thingame which is served
to mac's via afp (cant get nfs to work with the macs for some confounded
reason, but thats ok, since afp is the macs native tounge I suppose).

We are using silverkeeper as the backup software. Its rather nice bit of
freeware (not o/source alas).

Seems it kills the mac half way through. I'm hazarding a guess that it
MIGHT be due to the mac wanting to back up the /dev or whatever. Does
anyone know what files would be offlimit for a mac to touch?

Also heres a dont do: mount the afp drive in the rc.boot file. It locks
the damn thing up horribly. I guess it probably belongs in the netboot.
Still cant really figure how to get it to mount drives at bootup.

Any ideas on both problems?

--
"the vast majority of Iraqis want to live in a peaceful, free world. And
we will find these people and we will bring them to justice."

Shayne O'Neill. http://www.perthimc.asn.au