[plug] [OT] OSX question

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Thu Jul 1 12:58:40 WST 2004

In message <Pine.LNX.4.44.0407011158540.2980-100000 at guild.murdoch.edu.au>
on Thu, Jul 01, 2004 at 12:03:23PM +0800, Shayne O'Neill wrote:
> Seems it kills the mac half way through. I'm hazarding a guess that it
> MIGHT be due to the mac wanting to back up the /dev or whatever. Does
> anyone know what files would be offlimit for a mac to touch?

In addition to /dev (which, well, you probably /do/ want to back up),
don't forget to skip /private/var/vm which contains your large virtual
memory files :-)

> Also heres a dont do: mount the afp drive in the rc.boot file. It locks
> the damn thing up horribly. I guess it probably belongs in the netboot.
> Still cant really figure how to get it to mount drives at bootup.

(I don't know about mount_afp specifically, perhaps you can added an AFP
volume to fstab in NetInfo. But more generally...) Maybe look at adding
a directory to /Library/StartupItems. There should be docs on Apple's
website (though might be at http://developer.apple.com). You basically
make your own shell script (generally very simple if you include the
helper functions from /etc/rc.common) and specify startup dependencies
(e.g. you would want to specify networking as a requirement for mounting
your AFP volume).