[plug] DVD players

John Knight anarchist_tomato at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 2 21:29:55 WST 2004

There are four main contenders, xine, MPlayer, Ogle and Videolan. xine is
the most mature (it was the original) and the one I would recommend the
most. It's not only a DVD player, but a CD player, live webcast player, mp3,
video player, etc.

xinehq.de

MPlayer is a video player that *happens* to play DVDs. MPlayer has no menus,
so you have to manually choose what video/audio/subtitle stream or chapter
you want to use and it's a bit more hardcore than other players. MPlayer
should be installed anyway, as it's an invaluable tool, and arguably the
best player for general video files under Linux. Plus it can encode files
and rip DVDs.

mplayerhq.hu

Ogle is a lightweight DVD player that supports menus and subtitles etc, but
it's not particularly stable and doesn't have  avdanced options like
video-deinterlacing (for things shot on video to stop the 'liney' effect).
Good for slower machines or quick and easy access.

http://www.dtek.chalmers.se/groups/dvd/

VideoLan is a two part package, but all you need is the client. It's a
player that's designed around a server PC streaming out a  DVD/video file
and the client machines all watching it from the streaming server. Videolan
certainly has its fans and it aims at a niche area like MPlayer and Ogle,
worth a try, but I'd still recommend xine over it.

videolan.org (i think)

xine supports de-interlacing and changing audio streams all on the fly, plus
surround sound support and a host of other features. I'd recommend using
xine together with its standard UI and compiling them from source, with the
latest ALSA 1.0 drivers. .deb packages are okay and most pluggers seem to
not notice the difference (it's come up before), but when it comes to
intensive playback and error free, completely smooth DVD playback, source is
the only way to go as it's fully optimised for your system.

.deb packages for all of these proggies are avaialable on the official
websites of each project if you'd prefer to go that way. xine comes in two
parts, the xine-lib and you then pick a UI for the top, the default is best
for most people. MPlayer do not support the binary packages and would prefer
you built from source. IF you need help with it, my article went up today at
linux.com (shameless plug coming):

cheers!
John