[plug] mounting logical drives.

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Sat Jul 3 17:49:07 WST 2004

Chris Caston wrote:

> > I have made a 5Gb FAT32 partition on my windoze hdd, basically so I can
> > share files and stuff from linux to windows and vis-versa.
> >
> > I am not sure how to get Linux to see the new partition.  Would it help
> > if there was a file or something in the partition for Linux to
> > see?

You need to make a directory somewhere to mount the Windows partition
(e.g., /win_e), then put an appropriate line in /etc/fstab to have it
mounted automatically.  Adding stuff to /etc/fstab will only show up
once you reboot; you can mount it manually e.g. 'mount /win_e' after
editing fstab to avoid rebooting.

> This is quite easy however being another to write to the partition from
> a user other than root is more of a gotcha.

http://cp.yi.org/lurker/message/20040606.125630.b3da6c8f.html

The example that gave for '/usb' contains the right magic options for
a fat32 partition.  If you want it to be mounted automatically on boot
you should remove the 'noauto,' option.

'man mount' and 'man fstab' for the gory getails.

Cameron.