[plug] yet another newbie question

Jim Householder nofixed at westnet.com.au
Sat Jul 3 22:58:19 WST 2004

> Log out of KDE and Alt-Ctrl-F1 to get to a 'text terminal'.  Do what
> needs to be done then Alt-F7 to get back to the graphical login screen.
> When you log in, a fresh instance of the x server is started.
>
> HTH,
> Tim Bowden

When installing my nvidia driver I have found that it requires *no* gui
running.  Your boot manager (lilo or grub probably) normally gives you
the option of a single user, expert mode, or similar.  These will leave
you in a single-user shell logged in as root.

I prefer starting kde from a shell (using startx for lack of anything
better) rather than logging straight into the gui.  I like the
flexibility.  To do that, you need to edit /etc/inttab and change
   id:5:initdefault:      to       id:3:initdefault:
unless you are using debian (or a derivative) in which case this won't
work because run levels 2 - 5 are all treated the same.  (one of the
reasons I stopped using debian...).

HTH
Jim