[plug] yet another newbie question

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Sun Jul 4 16:21:55 WST 2004

Lee Jamieson wrote:
> I have to install the nvidia binaries from a commandline - the README
> suggests exiting KDE or GNOME or whatever window manager you are using.
>
> I am using KDE and the only way I can think of is to change the auto
> login and GUI interface at boot.
>
> Is this the only way to "kill" kde and get to a proper command line?

Nope.

Hit CTL-ALT-F1 to get to a text console and log in there. su to root and
run the following command:

	init 1

to drop your system to single-user mode.

On most non-Debian-derived distros, "init 3" will turn off X and do
little else, so you can use that insead if you're not using Debian.
Debian users can just /etc/init.d/[gkx]dm stop instead.

Still working as root, install the NVidia drivers.

Once that's done, you can bring your system back up and  keep working
without rebooting:
	init 5				(redhat derived systems)
	/etc/init.d/[gkx]dm start	(debian derived systems)
or you can reboot.

There should never be any need to alter inittab just to shut down X!

--
Craig Ringer