[plug] ADSL: Hardware Gateways vs Linux

Trevor Phillips T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au
Mon Jul 5 13:46:58 WST 2004

I'm preparing to take the ADSL plunge (FINALLY), and have started looking at
what ADSL Modems and variants thereof are available. In particular, since
I'll probably sign up with Westnet, I've been looking at what hardware they
offer:
   http://www.westnet.com.au/products/broadband/adsl/hardware.shtm

First up - how do these ADSL Hardware routers compare to a Linux Box for
firewall & NAT support? I'm guessing that Linux has the advantage of being
fully customisable, upgradeable, & patchable, but how much advantage (if any)
is that compared to a dedicated hardware solution? I could go with a simple
ADSL Modem, whack a second net card in the Linux server (current dial-up
server - really needs some maintenance done on config tho), or I could go
with one of the ones with 4-port, and demote my Linux server to a file/web
server.

The other consideration is whether to take the opportunity to take the plunge
into Wireless, and get an ADSL Modem which also doubles as a Wireless Access
Point. The main concern is if the range will stretch from the study at one
end of the house, through multiple walls to the other end of the house. How's
the range on these sort of SOHO products?

Lastly - what are the Netcomm's like which Westnet offer? (See above link).
The PDF brochures all read rather well, but then, not having networking as a
specialty field, a lot of the acronyms go over my head. ^_^ (Although the
spec sheet for the Netcomm 5580W wireless one reads a lot like a Linux
feature-set. Anyone know if it's really an embedded linux device?)

Any other gotcha's or advice on hardware and configuration?

: Web Technical Administrator     -          T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :
| IT Services                        -              Murdoch University |