[plug] ADSL: Hardware Gateways vs Linux

Bill Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Mon Jul 5 14:08:47 WST 2004

I have used a netcomm ADSL router to "protect" some windows machines.
Found it flakey (hard lockups), very poor tech support (via India?),
inflexible and limited functionality compared to a linux box, but almost
foolproof. (hint: search the web for the model number first - wish I had
done that before, not after we bought it!

I would use it again (but not a netcom product), esp. for inexperienced
home users, but I'll stick to my own builds for myself, and I think most
"geek" users would say the same.

BillK