[plug] ADSL: Hardware Gateways vs Linux

Trevor Phillips T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au
Mon Jul 5 16:54:33 WST 2004

On Monday 05 July 2004 14:08, Bill Kenworthy wrote:

> I would use it again (but not a netcom product), esp. for inexperienced
> home users, but I'll stick to my own builds for myself, and I think most
> "geek" users would say the same.

As a Geek with little free time, though, there's appeal in a little gadget box
which does all the cool tech for me. ^_^

On Monday 05 July 2004 14:37, Chris Caston wrote:

> ADSL modems are getting more and more sophisticated with QoS, IP
> throttling, VPN client/server, dns-dyns, more advanced firewalls,
> virtual servers etc.

Which makes shopping for them all the more difficult. ^_^

> Be careful with these. I've been having serious problems with the
> wireless component of the Billion 7402w. It may be better to get a
> separate access point. When the whole product is the wireless access
> point they are going to put more effort into making it good than if the
> wireless is just a "feature" of an adsl modem.

Any recommendations on an inexpensive stand-alone WAP then? I did consider
getting that separately - the main appeal of an all-in-one is cost-savings.

> Much less when going through walls. You may need a repeater or even just
> run some cable. It's not that hard. In fact it's far easier to install
> sockets than it is to crimp cable.

Errr, I've well and truly cabled my house. ^_^
Although, given the amount of sockets I've wired & cables I've crimped, I
think crimping's a little easier, mainly due to some of the cramped quarters
(and heights off the ground) I had to wield that Krone tool in... Ugh...

I'd like to try Wireless with my PDA tho - walking around with a PDA with a
Cat-5 trailing behind it isn't so portable & convenient.

My first idea was to have a separate Wireless WAP, stick it in the family room
in a central location - but that would be out in the open, and consume a
valuable wall-socket during LAN parties. Wireless hidden in the study would
be neater - if the range is there... Of course, if a dedicated WAP has better
range, then I *could* stick the WAP in the Study too...

An interesting "feature" of the Netcomm which WestNet lists is it has a
removable aerial with connector - Implies a cable can be run to put an aerial
elsewhere.

As a side to Wireless & Walls - the walls are brick, but the roof is Colorbond
- would that affect Wireless coverage inside at all?

: Web Technical Administrator     -          T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :
| IT Services                        -              Murdoch University |