[plug] ADSL: Hardware Gateways vs Linux

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Jul 6 17:52:11 WST 2004

Chris Caston wrote:
> I've got this huge feeling that wireless is just a complete and total
> pain in the arse so much so that it totally outweighs any possible
> conveniences. Give me normal network cables any day.

I'd have to strongly disagree with that. My D-Link 900+ AP works very
nicely, and I now find myself pulling out my laptop somewhere, opening
it up, and trying to read my email ... only it doesn't work. /then/ I click.

I find it extremely convenient and it also saves me having to cable all
points I might want to use my laptop from - instead I just provide ports
for my desktop and the firewall plus one for my laptop when I need
better speed than 802.11b can offer.

I do think the security side is a bit painful, but to me it nowhere near
counteracts the general advantages of 801.11b. Most services I really
need to access securely I was already using SSH tunnels or SSL-enabled
protocols for. IPSec is always an option too (though a pretty poor one
under Linux right now, it seems).

It is possible that if you buy better quality wireless gear you'll find
that things are less painful.

--
Craig Ringer