[plug] What have I done wrong?

Lee Jamieson lee.jamieson at bigpond.com
Wed Jul 7 08:48:17 WST 2004

Hiya all,

I tried installing the NVIDIA binaries for my video card.  KDE 3.2 has
some "OpenGL" screen savers that I wanted to try out and before I
installed the binaries, did not work.

I installed the binaries (Binary??) following the instructions I had
printed out from the website, changed the XFree86 config file and did
whatever else it said.

I then rebooted and tried the OpenGL screensavers, which worked, but the
machine hung - quite severely, it took a push of the reset button to get
back. I tried this different times, resetting the screensaver back to
the one I was using, and going about my business.  The machine hung
again with no OpenGL applications running.

I tried looking in the XFree86 log file to see if there were any errors,
but there were no obvious ones.

I then tried reinstalling the nvidia binaries again, and followed the
instructions again.

Now, those "OpenGl" screensavers do not work - it is as if I had gone
back before my first attempt at installing.

I'm using Mandrake 10 Official, 2.6.6

Any ideas?

Lee