[plug] What have I done wrong?

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Jul 7 15:25:26 WST 2004

Lee Jamieson wrote:

> I then rebooted and tried the OpenGL screensavers, which worked, but the
> machine hung - quite severely, it took a push of the reset button to get
> back.

Did it hang immediately or after a little while? Is your video card
adequately cooled? (I've seen crash / lockup problems caused by video
card overheating, especially with 3D).

Was there a kernel panic (flashing keyboard LEDs will indicate this) or
did it just lock up? Did/does CTL-ALT-Backspace kill the X server when
it's locked up?

> Now, those "OpenGl" screensavers do not work - it is as if I had gone
> back before my first attempt at installing.

That's strange. What is the output of
	glxinfo | egrep '(direct rendering|vendor)'
?

> I'm using Mandrake 10 Official, 2.6.6

I don't know how well the NVidia drivers work with 2.6 kernels yet. They
certainly haven't had the same level of testing as with 2.4 kernels.
They worked when I tried them out on 2.6.0 even though I had to patch
the drivers to get them to build (it was before NVidia came out with 2.6
support), but I wouldn't be too surprised if they hadn't worked all the
kinks out yet. Anybody here using them on 2.6?

--
Craig Ringer