[plug] Web Browser Visualisation

Kirk Turner kirk.turner at wagoonline.com
Thu Jul 8 17:26:40 WST 2004

On Thu, Jul 08, 2004 at 05:09:33PM +0800, Bernd Felsche wrote:
> Most problems will be evident when you check with all available
> "browsers" just from Linux; Mozillae, lynx, links, w3m, Konq,
> Galeon, Opera, Nautilus, Epiphany, Arachne, Amaya, Emacs-w3,
> HotJava, OpenOffice, ...
>
> And don't overlook validation. You can ignore some warnings about
> trivial problems, but no warnings is best of all.

One thing I have found, that is annoying, and indicates that I should
probably test it with one of the validators (eg
http://validator.w3.org/) is that Mozilla and IE's tag parsers place
different precendents. So if I have something like:

Mozilla will display the page fine since it looks like it places < & >
over " & ' , however IE will not display the link correctly because it
says that the url hasn't finished.

Normally HTML editors will pick this up, but when I've done this via
Java servlets with ' escaping for example, Mozilla successfully
rendering it is a problem.

Anyway I'm not sure I had a point, except perhaps to share Onno's
frustration :)

Kirk