[plug] VPNs and stuff

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Thu Jul 8 22:32:36 WST 2004

Simon Scott wrote:
> Hi guys
>
> Quick question, hopefully someone can advise me on where to turn....
>
> We're trying to setup a VPN between my house and my mate's house via
> 2 ADSL links.
>
> So far, we've tried IPSEC, which failed since we have a double NAT
> scenario, and PPTP, which we could probably get working but appears
> to be better suited to Road Warrior kind of usage. Since we're going
> from server to server, the client setup is a nightmare without the
> associated GUI tools.
>
> Has anyone got any advice on other tech we can use to get a permanent
> LAN to LAN via double NAT style of VPN?

I use CIPE here over a Nat->static IP link, but I have used it over NAT<->NAT.
In either case, you need to open up a static UDP port forward on both ends  and you need at least
one end to upload it's IP address somewhere that the other end can get at it.

When the link goes down, one end must fetch the IP of the other end, modify the /etc/cipe/options
file and restart the cipe daemon. It's not really difficult and you can get the interruption in
service time quite low if you use some clever polling/scripting.

I have even done it with one end E-mailing the other end using an ISP E-mail account.

Many and varied ways to skin this particular feline.

Regards,
Brad