[plug] Fw: [plug-ctte] linux help request

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Sun Jul 11 17:11:42 WST 2004

----- Forwarded message from David Hillier <metal_fab at westnet.com.au> -----

Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 12:30:54 +0800
From: David Hillier <metal_fab at westnet.com.au>
To: committee at plug.org.au
Subject: [plug-ctte] linux

I would like to get involved in using the linux operating system but to date
I  have had very little success in obtaining a working version of linux ,I
did purchase a copy of 9.1 some time ago from the shop in Fremantle but when
installed returned various errors
I then proceeded to download version 10 of mandrake and again simular errors
but not the same mostly to do with the KDE suite of functions, so I then
switched to the SUSE version of linux  which actually ran on a friends
computer for a while until it finally died never to be resurrected
I do realise that there are tens of thousands of computers running  this
system very successfully worldwide  ,so it obviously must be something that
I am not doing
Any help and advise would be appreciated
My objective is  to setup a fax and file server for my business as MS
windows 2000 and XP does not support the "Telstra fax stream duet using
distinctive ring "this I didn't know until after the purchase of the
hardware etc

Regards

David

----- End forwarded message -----

--
 Bernard Blackham <bernard at blackham dot com dot au>