[plug] help request: installing web server on Debian

Jon Miller jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au
Tue Jul 13 08:17:49 WST 2004

Yes, I did try another browser and got the same problem.
www.drfnagle.com.au is the domain.

Thanks

Jon L. Miller, MCNE, CNS, ASE
Director/Sr Systems Consultant
MMT Networks Pty Ltd
http://www.mmtnetworks.com.au

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure
 is trying to please everybody." -Bill Cosby

On Mon, 2004-07-12 at 15:42, Jon Miller wrote:
> Doing a ps -A it does show apache running, I still get the server error: 403 Forbidden; access denied; /doc/index on Firefox.  why is it showing /doc/index when it should be /var/www/index.html or just index.html?  Is this a permission issue?
> I did an apt-get install apache to install apache and made the changes to the Bindaddress *  by removing the # in front of the line and added the name of the domain to the ServerName line and then save the file.  I issued a /etc/init.d/apache restart and tried to access it with a browser and got the message.  I then checked to this with lynx and I get the webpage (I'm expecting) so I feel apache is working.
Sounds like it is, but that Firefox isn't. Have you tried another
browser (apart from Lynx & Firefox)? What domain are you trying to
reach? Out of the box these should work:
http://localhost/index.html
http://127.0.0.1/index.html

This is all assuming the default Debian config for apache and that you
have a file /var/www/index.html. (Also note that /usr/share/doc/ is
often mapped to http://{hostname}/doc/ so you can access your system
documentation via a browser.)

HTH; sol

--