[plug] What distro for old laptop?

Jim Householder nofixed at westnet.com.au
Thu Jul 15 20:22:53 WST 2004

Alex Polglaze wrote:

> Jim Householder wrote:
>
>> Thanks for all the comments.  I've decided to try debian woody with
>> ratpoison.  I will probably try other WMs before I'm done though.
>>
> Joining two posts, you don't have to go that far!
>
> Surely debian woody and and some of the previously mentioned blankers
> would be cheaper than the rat poison.:-)
>
> Probably safer too.

I have settled (for the moment) on woody with fvwm2.  I had to install xserver-svga in order to get a clean display on my Acer Extensa 367D with NeoMagic video (NM2097).

The last major hurdle is networking.  The Acer's window to the outside world is a USB LAN-Key.  While I had KDE thrashing, I found that it is recognized and correctly identified by usbmgr, but the networking side does not see it.

What am I missing?

TIA
Jim