[OT] RE: [plug] PC/104 POST card

John Usher (Maptek) John.Usher at perth.maptek.com.au
Tue Jul 13 09:39:27 WST 2004

> I'm thinking "pc/104->isa adapter and an isa post" was what you meant.

yeah. exactly!

>Eek. Noo! What about if you want to re-use the adaptor and test a 16
bit card ?
>Can't you dremelise[0] the lower edge of the board to go over the CPU
without
>amputating 8 bits ?!

>Have you got headroom to put a set of PC-104 plug/socket buss
connectors
>in between the two and another set of stand-offs (I may be
misunderstanding
>the topology of the problem here. If so, not to worry.)

Awww....spoil my fun. In the end a pc/104->pcmcia adapter card pushed it
all high enough.

Of course the bitch of this whole linuxbios project is that everytime it
gets a bit further and I have to re-flash, I have to pull all the damned
PC/104 cards off the board as the BIOS chip is underneath them!

>Well, if your code was this portable then you need a pay rise ;-)

I'll let my boss know you said that. Nar, this linux stuff is
surprisingly portable. However it looks like the arm is a little more
sensitive to reads on a non 4-byte boundary, but instead of crashing you
just get the four bytes at the boundary, but in the wrong order.

Fun fun fun, but overall, Linux is pretty well behaved compiling
cross-platform (so far, touch wood, insert favourite superstition here)