[plug] AT PSU

Chris Caston caston at arach.net.au
Tue Jul 13 11:57:38 WST 2004

On Tue, 2004-07-13 at 11:43, Bernd Felsche wrote:
> Sort of OT...
>
> I manage several firewalls that are using old AT-style hardware. The
> power supplies are starting to reach end of life (other than worn
> fans, leaking capacitors) and I need some new ones. The usual
> suspects don't seem to stock "baby-AT" PSUs any more.
>
> Seems a shame to toss otherwise-working hardware. I have a real
> problem with charging people $400 for what should be a $50 repair.

You have to look at the TCO. $400 might save you chasing the next
component that dies and save your customer downtime.

Nothing worse then spending your time chasing up second-hand parts. Of
course for the times they don't want new hardware I am thankful that I
live near a 2nd hand computer store that actually gives reasonable
prices even if they are extremely short on anti-static bags.