[plug] NFS mount giving "invalid argument" error

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Wed Jul 14 19:42:13 WST 2004

James Devenish wrote:

> > I recently changed the /etc/exports on my server at home and now I
> > can't access one of the NFS mounts.  When I give an
> > "/etc/init.d/nfs-kernel-server reload" then I see an error:
>
> This doesn't ring a bell for me: I usually don't retain any knowledge of
> NFS, I just look at the man page that lists all the errors and gives
> suggestions. However, I can't seem to find any such man page at the
> moment :-P

Yeah, I looked at the man page for 'exports' and 'exportfs' and
remained unenlightened.

>  - what is the output of `showmount` and `showmount -e` on the server?

Aha, hadn't heard of that one before.

# showmount
Hosts on euclid:
10.0.1.101
10.0.1.103
10.0.1.85
10.0.1.87
10.0.1.89
10.0.1.9
erdos.home
harry.home
merlin.home
pythagoras.home
socrates.home

(Odd... the only one of these that is currently mounting anything from
this server is erdos.  'showmount -a' lists erdos as having
/archive/mirrors mounted even though it isn't, and refuses to mount.
Perhaps I need a way of resetting the server's idea of what clients
are connected to it?)

# showmount -e
Export list for euclid:
[...snip irrelevant entries...]
/archive/mirrors/suse      *
/archive/mirrors/gentoo    *
/archive/mirrors/sysresc   *
/archive/mirrors/knoppix   *
/archive/mirrors/mandrake  *
/archive/mirrors           (everyone)

>  - what if you "stop", then "start" ther server rather than "reload"?

Precisely the same (I tried that earlier, forgot to mention it).

>  - what are the mount options on erdos.home?

euclid:/archive/mirrors /archive/mirrors        nfs     ro      0	0

Cameron.