[plug] [OT] props to Harris Technology

Ben Jensz plug at jensz.id.au
Thu Jul 15 15:04:11 WST 2004

ranime wrote:

> Thank you Ben,
> So, the way I understand it now from what you have said is that,
> if the modem router handles the authentication/logon-passwd etc, then
> no need for 'bridged mode' ?

Pretty much.  But it depends, some people like to use their Linux box to
do it, especially with some cheaper ADSL hardware as it can be a bit
unreliable with its authentication at times (even though it works fine
in bridged mode).  But some ADSL hardware works fine with the ADSL
router handling the authentication.  Personally I have a D-Link DSL-500
and its fine.. I never have any problems with that and I use that to
handle the authentication on my ADSL connection.

> Is the security risk any different with or without it ?

Depends who you ask. :)

> also, is the following correct ?
> If the modem router has or has not got a built in firewall
> NAT or no NAT (wich is not a true firewall)
> you could still configure and use shorwall etc... with or without
> 'bridged mode' ?

You can, but you'd generally put the ADSL router into bridged mode and
probably get the shorewall box to do the authentication.

/ Ben