[plug] Bridging in ADSL modems

Ben Jensz plug at jensz.id.au
Thu Jul 15 15:08:39 WST 2004

Craig Ringer wrote:

> On the other hand, the reliability is incredible. I held on to my
> bridged ADSL connection until iiNet forced us off it kicking and
> screaming, despite the fact that we paid $30/month extra for it toward
> the end. Our DSL service has never been anwhere near as solid since -
> I never used to have to worry about Telstra's authentication services
> dying.

Telstra's authentication was only a problem on Layer 3 ADSL connections
anyway.  Any authentication issues on Layer 2 are more likely to be the
ISP's authentication.

I don't get why iiNet wouldn't let you keep the bridged connection?

We have a bridged connection with WestNet at work.  Bridged connections
are still Layer 3 as I understand it.. but WestNet has never made any
noises about moving us.  And I definitely agree about the reliability of
bridged connections, ours has been flawless.  When WestNet had a couple
of issues early this year with authentication I think it was.. we didn't
get affected at all.

/ Ben