[plug] [OT] props to Harris Technology

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Thu Jul 15 17:02:47 WST 2004

Michael wrote:
> Please stay away from the DSL504G or anything else with a G on the end,
> they're bad!.

You're not the first person I've heard say that. Hmm.

> The best to go for right now is the DSL504 or the Netcomm
> NB1300. Linksys are good too, but expensive. Just that anything else I
> find can have problems (netgear, billion etc).

I was forced to buy a Billion ADSL modem for work (!!) recently, because
our trusty Alcatel SpeedTouch Pro was stone cold dead on Monday morning
and that's all I could get on short notice. I was astonished - it took
me one minute to unpack it and get it hooked up, another minute to
connect to it, 10 seconds to configure it for bridging, two minutes to
figure out I really only need to do what I'd done in those 10 seconds,
and then I was up and running. It's been 100% rock solid ever since.

So ... I'm impressed. I keep on hearing people saying good things about
them, but I'm used to people saying good things about anything nasty but
cheap. In this case, at least in bridging mode, they seem pretty
impressive. I have heard about problems with their PPPoE client, but ...
doesn't bother me :-)

--
Craig Ringer

P.S: It'd be nice if you could trim the trailing quoted sigs and list
notices on your posts.