[plug] [OT] props to Harris Technology

Nathan D natdan at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 17:19:54 WST 2004

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 17:02:47 +0800, Craig Ringer
<craig at postnewspapers.com.au> wrote:
> I was forced to buy a Billion ADSL modem for work (!!) recently, because
> our trusty Alcatel SpeedTouch Pro was stone cold dead on Monday morning
> and that's all I could get on short notice. I was astonished - it took
> me one minute to unpack it and get it hooked up, another minute to
> connect to it, 10 seconds to configure it for bridging, two minutes to
> figure out I really only need to do what I'd done in those 10 seconds,
> and then I was up and running. It's been 100% rock solid ever since.
>
> So ... I'm impressed. I keep on hearing people saying good things about
> them, but I'm used to people saying good things about anything nasty but
> cheap. In this case, at least in bridging mode, they seem pretty
> impressive. I have heard about problems with their PPPoE client, but ...
> doesn't bother me :-)
After hearing the good things about Billion, I bought one and waited
for my exchange to be enabled a bit over a year ago.  I played with
the modem while waiting for the line to be activated and then put it
into bridging mode as soon as ADSL was alive.  A bit over a year later
with the Billion 711CE and a ipcop/smoothwall firewall and I could not
be happier.
A friend has just got a 504G through iiNet and has had to give it a
reset twice so far to get it back in action.  I'm yet to have a look
at it to see if I can help fix it at all.

regards,
  Nathan D.

natdan at gmail.com
1000 Mbs of email !!