[plug] Root filesystem not remounting read-write?

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Thu Jul 15 18:05:32 WST 2004

On Thursday 15 July 2004 12:09, I wrote:
> On Thursday 15 July 2004 11:57, James Devenish wrote:
> > In message <200407151115.35332 at death.2.spammers>
> >
> > on Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 11:15:35AM +0800, Bernd Felsche wrote:
> > > The root filesystem (reiser) seems to have been afflicted in some
> > > way during one crash... it fsck's OK, but a normal boot fails to
> > > mount it read-write.
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > > I've instrumented boot.localfs with debug statements...should I be
> > > looking at things other than the return status of the mount commands?
> >
> > Forgive me for asking the obvious:
> >  - are you sure that your dmesg and other logs
> >    do not give any hint as to why the volume ends
> >    up read-only?
>
> dmesg is the first thing I checked; then /var/log/boot.msg
> (/var is a separate filesystem)
>
> Unfortunately, boot.localfs re-directed some stderr to /dev/null in
> places, so I hope I'll get some useful diagnostics from my
> instruments next boot.
>
> >  - Is your /etc/fstab OK?
>
> Yup.

Problem found... I'd enabled scsidev to give reliable scsi device
names for scanners and the card reader.

The boot.scsidev, which runs after boot.localfs had a bug... it
remounted the root filesystem as read-only on startup.

OOPS!

I changed the "ro" to "rw". Can't think of a reason why one would
leave root read-only.