[plug] Mcafee Linux command line scanner licensing

Scott Middleton scott at linuxit.com.au
Thu Jul 15 11:32:23 WST 2004

I always thought Mcafee was expensive to buy if you just wanted to use
the command line scanner along with Amavis. I have been buying the
Active Virus Scan Suite for clients because I was told (incorrectly)
that this was the only way to license the command line scanner.

Recently I contacted Mcafee again and I was finally put through to a guy
who could help me:
Hayden Tanner
business at groupservices.com.au

You can buy licenses for the Command line scanner alone without all the
rest of the guff. They cost under AU$20inc but you have to buy a minimum
of 11. This is for the perpetual license. The perpetual license only
comes with 1 year of upgrades though :) very schneaky. To pay for
upgrades is $7.48 per license per year. I personally would wait until
you need an upgrade and then buy it. The command line scanner updates
only seem to be around once a year anyway.

I know we have had discussions on this list before about which virus
scanner to use with Amavis and on each occasion Mcafee came out as too
expensive. I was assured that this is quite alright and fine according
to their licensing.

Regards

--
Scott Middleton <scott at linuxit.com.au>