[plug] [OT] props to Harris Technology

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Thu Jul 15 19:27:05 WST 2004

ranime wrote:
> Craig,
> with regard to the following that you wrote...
>
> "It should be like a DSL modem plugged into a hub/switch,
>  with all PCs also plugged into the same hub/switch."
>
> Are you saying that this is how it is with a built in switch ?...

Yes. The behaviour I've seen from most ADSL modems with a built in
switch is that when configured in bridged mode they function exactly the
same as a basic ADSL modem plugged into an external switch.

> or
> this is how you would prefer to set up,bridged or not bridged,

Oh no. Definitely not. This is a configuration I run screaming from. I
know people use it with no problems, but plugging my PCs into a bridged
connection to the world (even if it is pretty much private to you and
the exchange) isn't something I'm a fan of.

> with a seperate modem and a seperate router and switch,
> and then if required, a seperate wireless unit?

That's my preference, yes. I tend to have a PC with a great many NICs to
plug everything into, too, as I intensely dislike putting a DSL modem on
the same network segment as client machines. Ditto a wireless AP (except
for users on the wireless segment, obviously).

> I just need a little clarification please.

Understandably.

--
Craig Ringer