[plug] Bridging in ADSL modems

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Fri Jul 16 13:12:59 WST 2004

On Fri, 2004-07-16 at 06:52, Craig Foster wrote:

> You guys run QuickCut as well don't you...
> Urgh... Typically 30MB HTTP form POST...

Yep. QuickCut is ugly in a lot of ways, mostly when it comes to user
interface. The back end is pure bliss, however, and saves so much time
and pain it's just incredible.

I'm surprised you'd be sending 30MB jobs. One of our ~A3+ pages, in full
colour and with lots of graphics, rarely tops 4MB. Then again, we're
printing on newsprint with a pretty rough screen and low resolution.

My pet hate with QuickCut is the MSIE-only interface. At least it works
for a user running as 'restricted user' under WinXP, unlike some sites
I've seen. Gotta love sites that need a plugin that can't be installed
as restricted user... but won't work except when running as the user it
was installed under.

I love UNIX 'default to least permissions' user security.

> > It's also much easier to tell at a glance what's wrong with
> > your 'net connection. 'tail /var/log/messages' is rather
> > easier than "examine blinking lights in an attempt to figure
> > out what's going on."
>
> "Ah, WiredCity isn't your problem, the ADSL can't talk to the South Perth
> exchange. It says so here in the logs..."

I keep on confusing ISP tech support by being able to do things like
probe for DSLAMs ( pppoe -A ) and watch PPPoE session negotiation
traffic (tethereal). It seems pretty basic to me, but lots of support
types don't seem to understand that it's possible, and I've been told on
more than one occasion that I'm obviously wrong because it's impossible
to do that. Hmm.

--
Craig Ringer