[plug] Backup of drives for installfest??

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Sat Jul 17 10:33:21 WST 2004

On Saturday 17 July 2004 10:03, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> Craig Ringer wrote:
> > On Sat, 2004-07-17 at 09:27, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> > > Partimage over NFS is my plan.  (Alternatively, if someone can
> > > compile a partimage server that isn't broken, i.e. not the Debian
> > > packaged version, we could use the native partimage server which
> > > should achieve next to wire speed.)

> > Yep, my experience at CA is that it's really damnn fast, especially if
> > you make sure to gzip the install images (much faster than uncompressed
> > for any computer you're likely to encounter now). I only wish partimage
> > had one of the super fast compression schemes as an option too.

> Pretty sure it has LZF compression these days.  Will have to make sure
> that the one on SysRescCD supports it too though.

The "latest" SysRescCD has the -z1 option for gzip compression; and
a -z2 option bzip2 for time-consuming compression.

SysRescCD is probably another good option for PXE/NetBoot.

NB: Newbies who walk up with a machine that's got all of its 120GB
as a C: partition under Windows had better start defragmentation as
soon as they can... unless they have another drive for dual-boot.