[plug] hdparm troubles

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Sun Jul 18 09:16:40 WST 2004

On Sunday 18 July 2004 00:45, Craig Ringer wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-07-17 at 17:47, Steve Boak wrote:
> > > Have you tried a recent kernel? Perhaps the via IDE drivers have
> > > improved for these boards. IIRC they're known to be a little
> > > eccentric and have had Linux support issues in the past.

> > OK, how hard can it be to move up to 2.6 :-)

> I'd try 2.4.recent first. Why upgrade a whole major series just to /see/
> if there are some driver improvements that might help?

IIRC, he's running a newer kernel than I. It works with SuSE's build
of 2.4.16.

# cat /proc/ide/drivers
ide-floppy version 0.97.sv
ide-cdrom version 4.59
ide-disk version 1.11

I'd first confirm that the IDE cable is correct, that the drive
functions "correctly" on another system, that another drive behaves
as badly on the same system and that the BIOS is up to date.

As outlined in another message; hdparm's behaviour is puzzling.